Thursday, April 3, 2008

Leaning Tower of Pizza

180 Lexington Ave
Mansfield, OH 44907
(419) 525-3462

This nostalgic hole-in-the-wall pizza and sub joint has been serving downtown Mansfield for the past 30 or 40 years. When I walked in the door I was greeted with loud 70's music, and the entire interior was plastered with anything to do with pop culture in the 70's. When I ordered my food the employee was very friendly, making it a quick and painless process. I waited for about 25 minutes as my pizza cooked sitting in the old style train station bench.

First I'll give you a basic overview of the pizza, then I'll let you know what I thought of it.

It was a 16" pepperoni and sausage pizza. The pepperoni was cooked under the cheese with the sausage on top and the crust was a medium thickness. The slices were cut into squares.

I wish they would have put the pepperoni on top of the cheese because I like crispy pepperoni. The sausage had a nice spice to it, so over all the meat portion of the pizza was good. The cheese was not too thick and was a little tough when I bit into it. I had trouble keeping the toppings on the slice I was eating because they all came off with every bite due to the tough cheese. The sauce left much to be desired, there was literally no taste from the sauce, so all you could taste was the meat and grease. The crust was un-remarkable, it was a dry, dense crust on the brink of being over-cooked and served only as a means to get the toppings to your mouth. Over all the best part of this pizza were the toppings. I would give it on a pizza scale from 1 to 10 a (6.5). Next morning as I'm writing this I can still taste the grease, so it definitely lingers.

I will go back to try their subs, which they are renown for, but probably won't be ordering pizza from them. At $17.00 for a sixteen inch pizza, I can find much better pizza elsewhere.

Price: $17
Ambiance: Good
Service: Good
Quality: Average
Rating: 3.5 stars

1 comment:

Maurissa said...

You definitely have to try the subs. I don't like their pizza but the subs are the best.